The Wine School took a group of students to Tuscany many years ago. Here are the top-rated wineries from that trip. Wines were tasted at the winery, an enoteca, with meals, or sitting around the campfire.
10. Coltarenzio Muller- Thurgau, …aromatic and spicy, balanced by crisp minerality and an off-dry mouthfeel.
9. Villa a Sesta Chianti Colli Areteni “Ripaltella”…..less dense, earthy, or leathery than a Classico.Riper fruit flavors offer a solid “old school” alernative.
8. Podere Colla Nebbiolo d’Alba, …..the Langhe perfume of dusty roses and ripe plums. Layers of bitter cherry, earth, and raspberry leading to a firm and tannic finish.
7. Il Poggione Moscadello di Montalcino….Semi-“frizzante,” delicate, aromatic, and rounded without being cloying. Melon and honey are balanced by a good level of acidity in this luscious dessert wine.
6. Erik Banti Morellino di Scansano,….Sangiovese dominates in this unoaked blend that delivers precise, tangy flavors of herbs, black cherry, and violets on a soft, well-balanced texture.
5. Fattoria di Corsignano Chianti Clasico….Solid, indicative of its territory. The nose of mature fruit and spice with the signature hints of earth and roses. Full, structured tannins remain soft and dissipate quickly.
4. Caparzo Brunello di Montalcino “La Casa”….Still a bit austere but classicly
smooth and velvety. Intense nose of strawberry, spice, cassis, and vanilla.
Cherries stand out on the harmonious palate. This is good stuff.
3. Miscianello Chianti Classico”Reggio di Miscianello”….Full scents of aged dry
flowers. Mildly dry and tannic. Young and developing depth and balance-but
there’s substance behind the promise. This is true Chianti.
2. Canalicchio di Soto Brunello di Montalcino “Lambardia”….More floral than
most…violets backed by waves of dark fruit. Refined, ultraelegant texture.
Bright, rich, traditional in flavor and presentation.
1. Fratelli Pardi Sagrantino di Montefalco…. Intensely colored. A rush of
blackberry, jammy red fruit, spice, and “forestale” on the nose and in the
mouth. Warm, vigorous, mildly tannic..held in place by the refined structure
and strong, lengthy finish.