- This event has passed.
The Whiskey & Cocktail Class
Friday, September 28 from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm$61 – $99
One of the greatest whiskey authors of our generation, Michael Jackson, often visited our offices. That was back “in the day” when our old building (127 S. 22nd Street) was still occupied by his publisher, Running Press. This class is one of the ways we celebrate his legacy.
A bit of sauced education, this class features everything you ever wanted to know about whiskey but were afraid to ask: From whiskey cocktails to food pairings, to its smokey history. This is the class for lovers of bourbon, scotch, and rye.
Tasting Sheets From Previous Whiskey Classes
Hochstadter’s Vatted Straight Rye
• The High Line •
2 part Rye, 1 part red vermouth, 1 part minted simple syrup
Mitchell & Son – “Green Spot” Single Pot Still.
• Kensington Palace •
2 part Rye, 1 part St-Germain, 1 part simple syrup, lemon bitters
Wellington, South Africa
Bain’s “Cape Mountain” Single Grain
• The Voiron •
2 parts Rye, 1 part simple syrup, splash Green Chartreuse, chocolate bitters
The Yamazaki 12 Year Old Single Malt Whisky
Henry McKenna 10 Year Bottled in Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Single Barrel, 100 Proof
WhistlePig 10 Year Straight Rye Whiskey Single Barrel, 114.6 Proof
• 1 oz whiskey
• 1/3 oz Sweet red vermouth
• Dash Angostura bitters
• orange peel
• 1 oz. whiskey
• 2 dashes bitters
• 1/4 ounce simple syrup
• 1 sprig mint
• 2 1/2 ounces whiskey
• 1 ounce simple syrup
Elder in a Barrel (var. Old Fashioned)
Aged 3 months in used whisky barrel: 2 part scotch, 1 part St. Germain, 1 part simple syrup.
Barrel of Dead Yelps (new)
5 ounces barrel aged rum, 5 ounces Bourbon, 4 ounces Lemon Juice, 6 ounces Simple Syrup. Aged 2 months in a whiskey barrel.
Mamie Taylor (circa 1900).
1 part Scotch, 1 part ginger ale, lime wedge
Lower Manhattan (kinda new, maybe 1874)
1 part Contratto Vermouth Bianco, 2 parts Bourbon, Bitters
1. Deanston 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt Un-Chill Filtered
1. Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky
2. Suntory Hibiki 12 Year Japanese Whiskey
1. White Dog (75% corn, 20% wheat, 5% barley)
2. Young Bourbon (2 Months in White Oak)
3. Mature Bourbon (2 Years in White Oak)
The Three Grains
1. Rye. Dad’s Hat Rye Whiskey
2. Corn. Lincoln Henderson “Angel’s Envy” Bourbon
3. Barley. Bruichladdich “Rocks” Islay Single Malt Whisky
Oak Aged Cocktails
1. The Manhattan Project
2 oz Bourbon, 1 oz Sweet Vermouth, Splash of Madeira. Aged in Oak for 24 hours. Dashes of bitters & a cherry.
2. Not Quite Old Fashioned
2 oz. bourbon whiskey. 1/2 oz. maple syrup. ¼ crushed vanilla bean. Aged in Oak for 24 hours. Dash of bitters & a cherry.
1 part Contratto Vermouth Bianco | 2 parts rye whiskey | some bitters.
Age two months in a small whiskey barrel. Serve with a piquant arrogance in a rocks glass with ice.
Not A Mint Julep (per person)
1/2 oz. Canadian whisky | strawberry-mint simple syrup to taste.
Fill a glass with cracked ice. Add bourbon and mint syrup; stir gently until the glass is thoroughly chilled.
Old Fashioned but Friendly (per four people)
2½ oz. Rye whiskey | ½ oz. St. Germain (elderflower liquor) | 2–3 drops bitters
Stir bourbon, St. Germain, and bitters in an ice-filled mixing glass until very chilled; strain into an ice filled glass.
Prohibition Era Whisky
1. Forty Creek “Premium Barrel Select” Canadian Whisky
2. Cutty Sark “Prohibition Edition” Blended Grain Scotch Whisky
Two Lives of Rye
1. Rittenhouse Rye 100 Proof, Bottled in Bond Whisky
2. Russell’s Reserve 6 Year Small Batch Rye Whiskey
Vermont is is Canada, still Awesome
1. Whistle Pig 10 Year Old Straight Rye Whiskey
1. The Eternal Cocktail: Whiskey, A Barrel, and Two Years of Classes
2. Caribou Cocktail: Whiskey, Red Wine, Chocolate, Honey & Spice
Making the Sausage
1. Bear Republic Brewing Company R5 IPA
2. Charbay R5 Whiskey Lot #511a (Ukiah, California)
1. Stranahan’s Whiskey Batch #166 (Denver, Colorado)
1. High West Double Rye! Batch #15 (Rocky Mountains, Utah) LDI/MGP
2. WhistlePig Rye Whiskey (Shoreham, Vermont) Alberta Distillers Ltd
1 pt Rye, 1 pt vermouth, 2 dash bitters
Barrel Aged Cocktail
Gomme Syrup, Bourbon, Brandy, Lemon
Blend VS Barrel
1. Russell’s Reserve Bourbon, 10 Year (Wild Turkey, Lawrenceburg, Kentucky)
2. Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel Bourbon (Wild Turkey, Lawrenceburg, Kentucky)
Water Source of Single Barrels
1. Widow Jane 10 Year (Buffalo Trace, Frankfort, Kentucky. Finished in Brooklyn, NYC)
2. Four Roses Single Barrel 10 Year (Lawrenceburg, Kentucky)