In this session, we will study the major grape varieties, highlight important flavor profiles, and decode wine labeling, all while tasting eight delicious wines. We guarantee that you’ll be buying or ordering with confidence after one class. And always getting the wine you want, regardless of price!
This class is a tribute to Master Sommelier and bestselling author Andrea Immer Robinson. Her book, Great Wine Made Simple (Clarkson Potter) was first published in 2000, just a few months before the wine school was founded. The book was required reading for our students back then, and we still think it’s one of the top books for novice wine lovers.
Andrea was kind enough to return the favor. In 2004, she was the keynote spedaker at a Wine School of Philadelphia lecture series. It was held at the Food Network’s Great Big Food Show in Philadelphia. She started of her lecture by telling the sold out audience “You are lucky to have the Wine School of Philadelphia” and went on to say a few other kind works about the school’s director, Keith Wallace.
In this class, we honor “Great Wine Made Simple” and our friend-in-wine Andrea. Like the book, this class is designed to give the wine student an easy way to decipher the wine labels of great wines from great wine regions. You can expect this class to cover the classic wine regions within France, Italy, Spain, and more!
1. Dr. Heidemanns-Bergweiler 2011 Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett, Mosel, Germany
1. Sbraga Family Vineyards 2013 Sauvignon Blanc, Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma
2. Karine Lauverjat 2014 Sancerre AOC, France
1. San Fabiano Calcinaia 2012 Chianti Classico Denominazione di Origine Controllata E Garantita (DOCG), Tuscany, Italy
2. Villa Mora 2008 Rosso Riserva, Montefalco DOC, Italy
1. Bastide Miraflors 2013 “Vieilles Vignes”, Côtes Catalanes, France
2. Chapoutier 2013 Bila-Haut, Côtes du Roussillon Villages, France
1. Château La Cardonne 2009 Médoc AOC, Cru Bourgeois, Bordeaux, France
1. St. Urbans-Hof 2010 Bockstein Ockfen Kabinett Riesling
1. Nicolas Potel 2011 Mâcon-Villages Bourgogne
2. Jean-Claude Lapalu 2009 Beaujolais-Villages
1. Fratelli Revello 2009 Langhe
2. Rocca di Castagnoli 2009 Chianti Classico
1. Marqués de Riscal Reserva 2006 Rioja
2. Dom. de la Grand Ribe 2009 Côtes du Rhône Villages Centenaire