- This event has passed.
Tue, December 11, 2018 from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm$51 – $89
Deliciously Exotic Wines or Exotically Delicious? That is the question of the hour when we uncork these amazing wines. By the end of class, you will wonder why the rest of the world has forgotten about these wines. You will be glad we haven’t.
In Search of Delicious Exotic Wines
In this class, the theme is: the more obscure and rare the better! We have traveled –figuratively and literally– across the globe to find some of the coolest wines you have never heard of. You will learn about –and taste– wines from obscure places and also exotic varieties. But that isn’t the most important element. It’s not enough that these are exotic wines. They also have to be damn good, too.
If you are the type of person who wants to discover great new things, then this is a class for you. If you are happy just drinking buttery Chardonnay, not so much. Some of these wines will be from exotic places, some will be made with exotic grapes, and some combine both (and those are our favorites). No matter how much you think you know, this class will open your mind to how big and awesome the wine world really is.
This class will also give you great insight into the mind of a cellar master & sommelier. You’ll learn about wines and wine regions years before they become famous. As a case in point, the Wine School‘s very first Exotica class was held in 2002. One of the first wines of that night was an exotic grape from a hitherto-unknown wine region: Malbec from Argentina. How times have changed!
1. Schloss Mühlenhof 2017 Müller-Thurgau (Rheinhessen, Germany)
2. Cantina Terlano-Kellerei 2016 Weissburgunder (Alto Adige, Italy)
1. Ouled Thaleb 2011 Syrah (Zenata, Morocco)
2. Suertes del Marqués 2014 “7 Fuentes” (Tenerife, Spain)
1. Artevani 2015 Saperavi (Kakheti, Georgian Republic)
2. Dom. des Tourelles 2014 Cinsault Vieilles Vignes (Bekaa Valley, Leb.)
1. Bibich 2013 “R6” Riserva Red (Skradin Croatia)
2. Cosimo Taurino 2007 “Notarpanaro” Salento Rosso IGT (Puglia, Italy)
1. François Cazin 2014 Romorantin, Cour-Cheverny (Loire, France)
2. Langmann NV “Schilcher” Blauer Wildbacher Frizzante, Weststeiermark (Austria)
1. Tikves 2013 Vranec, Tikveš (Republic of Macedonia)
2. Tenuta La Ghiaia 2012 Massaretta/Vermentino Nero, Liguria (Italy)
1. Pheasant’s Tears 2015 Saperavi, Kartli (Republic of Georgia)
2.Château Musar 2011 “Hochar Père et Fils” Red Blend, Bekaa Valley (Lebanon)
1. Ponce 2015 “Burena Pinta” Moravia Agria, Manchuela (Spain)
2. Forlorn Hope “Suspiro del Moro” Alvarelhão, Alta Mesa (US)
1. Bodego Tajinaste 2016 Blanco Seco, Canary Islands, Spain
2. Cacique Maravilla 2015 ‘Pipeno’ Pais, Bio Bio Valley, Chile
1. Ronchi di Cialla 2015 Ribolla Gialla, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy
2. Foradori 2013 Teroldego, Trentino-Alto Adige, Italy
1. Domaine des Ouled Thaleb 2012 Ait Souala, Zenata, Morocco
2. Jean-Francois Merieau 2012 “Cent Visage” Côt, Loire, France
1. Tikves 2013 Vranec Special Selection, Macedonia
2. Bibich 2013 “R6” Riserva, Skradin, Croatia
1. Vina Mayu 2013 Pedro Ximenez (Chile)
2. Domaine Comte Abbatucci 2012 ‘Rouge Frais Imperial’ (Corsica)
1. Tikves 2011 “Special Selection” Vranec (Republic of Macedonia)
2. Bodegas y Vinedos Ilurce 2012 Rio Madre Graciano (Spain)
1. Cascina Tavijn 2012 Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato (Piedmont)
2. Vinkara 2010 ‘Mahzen’ Reserve Kalecik Karasi (Turkey)
1. Valle dell’Acate 2010 “Il Frappato” Vittoria (Sicily)
2. Michele Alois 2010 Trebulanum Terre del Volturno (Italy)
1. Nigl 2010 Gruner Veltiner, Freiheit (Austria)
2. Estate Hatzimichalis 2009 Chardonnay/Robola, Atalanti Valley(Greece)
3. Domaine de Gioielli 2009 Rose Wine, Corsica (France)
4. Caber Les Pensees de Pallus 2009 Cabernet Franc, Chinon (France)
5. Ronchi di Cialla 2007 Schioppettino/Refosco Friuli (Italy)
6. Fongoli 2006 Sagrantino Umbria(Italy)
7. Axia 2007 Syrah/Xinomavro (Greece)
8. Makor 2007 Bobal/Cabernet Sauvignon (Spain)
Want Access To Upcoming Classes?
Join our mailing list to be the first to hear about new classes. Plus gain access to our reviews and articles weeks before everyone else.