Dear Wine School,
Please confirm that I am enrolled in the spring core wine course (Sunday only). I was previously informed that I would have to wait until the spring course to be enrolled. I’ve paid tuition and ticket insurance, and was initially signed up to take this course in summer 2017. I then planned to take it in the fall, but the schedule of dates did not work. Your records still incorrectly state that I completed the course. Thank you.
Thank you for contacting us. As we discussed last October, we would endeavor to enroll you in the Winter Core course after your prior cancellations, but that proved impossible after reaching out to those students on the waitlist for the Fall semester (in which you had a seat).
We informed you that there was availability in the Spring semester at that time. We had no information regarding your availability in April because we were still trying to get you seated for January. This is the first notice we have received from you that you desired a seat in the April program.
The program is actually sold out at this time, but we are willing to add one extra seat for you to attend provided that you understand there can be no further reschedule requests.
Please let me know.