- This class has passed.
NEW! America’s Signature Red
Thu, December 30, 2021 from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm
How an Ancient Croatian Grape Became America’s Signature Wine
In this we tasting class, we uncover the delicious history of a single red wine, from Croatia to Italy and finally into Napa Valley.
Croatia, Macedonia, Italy, New Hampshire, Sonoma: the pilgrimage of this wine is a story worth tasting. It is known by many names: Crljenak Kaštelanski in Croatia; Primitivo in Italy; Kratošija in Montenegro; Zinfandel in America. Over two hundred years ago, this grape played an integral part in the establishment of California’s wine industry. Surprising, it is still America’s signature grape.
In this class, we taste some great Zins, but we are going further this time. We track Zin’s genetic heritage to uncover more great-tasting wines that are related to Zinfandel! If you love American wines, this is an essential class.
Want to attend this class online? Members of our wine club get exclusive online assess to all our classes for free. Only $19/month.
Tasting Sheets from Previous Classes
Birthplace of Zin
- Ivica Pilizota 2016 Plavina, Dalmatia (Croatia)
- Bura 2017 “Fresh” Plavac Mali, Peljesac Peninsula (Croatia)
- Tikves Cooperative 2012 “Barovo” Kratošija, Tikves (Macedonia)
- Feudo Croce 2017 “Imperio LXXIV” Primitivo di Manduria
- Beran 2012 Zinfandel, Sonoma County
- Owen’s Roe 2014 “Abbot’s Table” Zinfandel Blend, Columbia Valley
- Ravenswood 2015 Zinfandel, Sonoma Valley, Old Hill Vineyard
- Louis Martini 2014 “Gnarly Vines” Zinfandel, Sonoma, Monte Rosso Vineyard