You don’t need to be book smart to be wine smart. In this class, you’ll learn that wine has nothing to do with IQ. It has everything to do with passion and exposure to good wine.
You’ve probably heard the buzzwords. Tannin, Full Body, Crisp. New World. Old World. Finish. Floral. Mineral. The list of wine terms goes on and on. If you want to know what those terms really mean, you should take this class.
Tonight, you will learn how to taste and talk like a natural-born sommelier. You will gain first-hand experience with one of the top wine instructors on the East Coast. And you’ll uncover the mysteries of taste, flavor, and style. Learn all the essential wine jargon while tasting great wines. Open up your mind and earn your wine smarts: this is the best kind of show and tell!
1. Von Strasser Winery 2014 “Rudy” Sauvignon Blanc (Napa, California)
1. Guigal 2014 Cotes du Rhone Rosé (Rhone Valley, France)
2. Guigal 2014 Cotes du Rhone Red (Rhone Valley, France)
1. Bogle 2013 Merlot (California)
2. Milbrandt Vineyards 2010 Grenache Clifton Vineyards, Wahluke Slope, Columbia Valley (Washington)
1. Castello di Gabbiano 2011 Chianti Classico (Tuscany, Italy)
2. D’Arenberg 2012 Shiraz (Lake County, California)
1. Baron D’Ardeuil 2012 Grand Vin de Buzet (France)
I love oaky wines. Translation: I love barrel aged wine.
1. Muga 2014 Rioja Blanco
I only drink White Wine. Translation: I don’t like tannic wines.
I only drink Red Wine. Translation: I like tannic wines
1. Guigal 2014 Cotes du Rhone Rose
2. Guigal 2014 Cotes du Rhone Red
I don’t like Merlot. Translation: I don’t like Merlot from California
1. Bogle 2013 Merlot, California
2. Horse Heaven Hills 2013 Merlot, Washington State
I like dry wines. Translation: I like old world style wines.
I like fruity wines. Translation: I like new world wines.
1. Ovidio Garcia 2009 Crianza, Cigales
2. Shannon Ridge 2013 Zinfandel, Lake County
This wine has an aftertaste. Translation: This wine has a finish
1. Lafage 2014 “Narassa” Cotes du Roussillon
Brancott Estate 2012 Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand)
Goat Door 2009 Chardonnay (South Africa)
Girlan 2009 Patricia Pinot Noir (Suditrol, Italy)
Koyle 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon (Colchagua, Chile)
Castello di Farnetella 2010 Chianti (Colli Senesi, Italy)
Vavaherroros 2010 Garnacha (Madrid, Spain)
Oliverhill 2011 Red Silk Shiraz (McLaren Vale, Australia)
Middle Sister NV Sweetie Pie (Napa, California)
Get our wine reviews fresh from the oven. Register for the Wine School Newsletter.