The Whiskey & Cocktail Class
Friday, October 15 from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm
One of the greatest whiskey authors of our generation, Michael Jackson, often visited our offices. That was back “in the day” when our old building (127 S. 22nd Street) was still occupied by his publisher, Running Press. This class is one of the ways we celebrate his legacy.
A bit of sauced education, this class features everything you ever wanted to know about whiskey but were afraid to ask: From whiskey cocktails to food pairings, to its smokey history. This is the class for lovers of bourbon, scotch, and rye.
Tasting Sheets From Previous Whiskey Classes
The Whiskey Class
• 2 ounces whiskey
• 3/4 ounces sweet vermouth
• splash of absinthe
• 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
• 2 parts whiskey
• 1/2 part elder flower liqueur
• 2 dashes angostura bitters
Corn & Rye
1. Bain’s Corn Whiskey, Cape Mountain, SZ
2. Old Overholt BiB Straight Rye Whiskey, Frankfort, KY
Wheat & Barley
1. Bluebird Distilling Wheat Whiskey, Phoenixville, PA
2. Glenfiddich “Project XX” Single Malt, Speyside, UK
1. Rebel Yell 10 Year, Single Barrel, Kentucky Straight Bourbon
The Whiskey & Cocktail Class
Hochstadter’s Vatted Straight Rye
• The High Line •
2 part Rye, 1 part red vermouth, 1 part minted simple syrup
Mitchell & Son – “Green Spot” Single Pot Still.
• Kensington Palace •
2 part Rye, 1 part St-Germain, 1 part simple syrup, lemon bitters
Wellington, South Africa
Bain’s “Cape Mountain” Single Grain
• The Voiron •
2 parts Rye, 1 part simple syrup, splash Green Chartreuse, chocolate bitters
The Yamazaki 12 Year Old Single Malt Whisky
The Whiskey Class
Six Months is the Chocolate Sauce
½ Bottle Straight Rye, ½ bottle Amaro, 2 cups simple sugar, and
cask aged for 6 months, garnished with a cherry and a brownie.
DIY: Rob Roy
1 ounce Scotch whisky, 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth, 1 dash bitters, garnish with orange twist.
American BIB: Old School Versus New
1. Heaven Hill “Mellow Corn” Straight Whiskey (100 Proof)
2. Brown-Forman “Old Forester 1897” Straight Whiskey (100 Proof)
Blinded: Two Faces of Canadian Rye
a. Whistle Pig Farm 10 Year Straight Rye, Single Barrel (114.6 Proof)
b. Canadian Club 100% Rye, Single Grain (80 Proof)
Barrel of Dead Yelps (new)
5 ounces barrel aged rum, 5 ounces Bourbon, 4 ounces Lemon Juice, 6 ounces Simple Syrup. Aged 2 months in a whiskey barrel.
Mamie Taylor (circa 1900).
1 part Scotch, 1 part ginger ale, lime wedge
Lower Manhattan (kinda new, maybe 1874)
1 part Contratto Vermouth Bianco, 2 parts Bourbon, Bitters
1. Deanston 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt Un-Chill Filtered
1. Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky
2. Suntory Hibiki 12 Year Japanese Whiskey
1. White Dog (75% corn, 20% wheat, 5% barley)
2. Young Bourbon (2 Months in White Oak)
3. Mature Bourbon (2 Years in White Oak)
The Three Grains
1. Rye. Dad’s Hat Rye Whiskey
2. Corn. Lincoln Henderson “Angel’s Envy” Bourbon
3. Barley. Bruichladdich “Rocks” Islay Single Malt Whisky
Oak Aged Cocktails
1. The Manhattan Project
2 oz Bourbon, 1 oz Sweet Vermouth, Splash of Madeira. Aged in Oak for 24 hours. Dashes of bitters & a cherry.
2. Not Quite Old Fashioned
2 oz. bourbon whiskey. 1/2 oz. maple syrup. ¼ crushed vanilla bean. Aged in Oak for 24 hours. Dash of bitters & a cherry.
The Mostly Rye Edition of the Whiskey Class
1 part Contratto Vermouth Bianco | 2 parts rye whiskey | some bitters.
Age two months in a small whiskey barrel. Serve with a piquant arrogance in a rocks glass with ice.
Not A Mint Julep (per person)
1/2 oz. Canadian whisky | strawberry-mint simple syrup to taste.
Fill a glass with cracked ice. Add bourbon and mint syrup; stir gently until the glass is thoroughly chilled.
Old Fashioned but Friendly (per four people)
2½ oz. Rye whiskey | ½ oz. St. Germain (elderflower liquor) | 2–3 drops bitters
Stir bourbon, St. Germain, and bitters in an ice-filled mixing glass until very chilled; strain into an ice filled glass.
Prohibition Era Whisky
1. Forty Creek “Premium Barrel Select” Canadian Whisky
2. Cutty Sark “Prohibition Edition” Blended Grain Scotch Whisky
Two Lives of Rye
1. Rittenhouse Rye 100 Proof, Bottled in Bond Whisky
2. Russell’s Reserve 6 Year Small Batch Rye Whiskey
Vermont is is Canada, still Awesome
1. Whistle Pig 10 Year Old Straight Rye Whiskey
American Whiskey Beyond Kentucky
1. The Eternal Cocktail: Whiskey, A Barrel, and Two Years of Classes
2. Caribou Cocktail: Whiskey, Red Wine, Chocolate, Honey & Spice
Making the Sausage
1. Bear Republic Brewing Company R5 IPA
2. Charbay R5 Whiskey Lot #511a (Ukiah, California)
1. Stranahan’s Whiskey Batch #166 (Denver, Colorado)
1. High West Double Rye! Batch #15 (Rocky Mountains, Utah) LDI/MGP
2. WhistlePig Rye Whiskey (Shoreham, Vermont) Alberta Distillers Ltd
Whiskey and Water
1 pt Rye, 1 pt vermouth, 2 dash bitters
Barrel Aged Cocktail
Gomme Syrup, Bourbon, Brandy, Lemon
Blend VS Barrel
1. Russell’s Reserve Bourbon, 10 Year (Wild Turkey, Lawrenceburg, Kentucky)
2. Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel Bourbon (Wild Turkey, Lawrenceburg, Kentucky)
Water Source of Single Barrels
1. Widow Jane 10 Year (Buffalo Trace, Frankfort, Kentucky. Finished in Brooklyn, NYC)
2. Four Roses Single Barrel 10 Year (Lawrenceburg, Kentucky)