- This event has passed.
The Whiskey & Cocktail Class: The Thanksgiving Edition
Fri, November 23, 2018 from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm$61 – $99
One of the greatest whiskey authors of our generation, Michael Jackson, often visited our offices. That was back “in the day” when our old building (127 S. 22nd Street) was still occupied by his publisher, Running Press. This class is one of the ways we celebrate his legacy.
A bit of sauced education, this class features everything you ever wanted to know about whiskey but were afraid to ask: From whiskey cocktails to food pairings, to its smokey history. This is the class for lovers of bourbon, scotch, and rye.
Tasting Sheets From Previous Whiskey Classes
Imbibe! The Whiskey & Cocktail Class
Rye, Bitters, Absinthe, Honey
Rye, Mint Bitters, Chartreuse, Honey
Corn & Wheat
1. Bluebird Distilling Wheat Whiskey, Phoenixville (PA)
2. Bain’s Single Grain Whisky, Cape Mountain (SZ)
Rye & Malt
1. Old Overholt Bonded Straight Rye Whiskey, Clermont (KY)
2. Westland American Single Malt, Seattle (WA)
Barrel of Dead Yelps (new)
5 ounces barrel aged rum, 5 ounces Bourbon, 4 ounces Lemon Juice, 6 ounces Simple Syrup. Aged 2 months in a whiskey barrel.
Mamie Taylor (circa 1900).
1 part Scotch, 1 part ginger ale, lime wedge
Lower Manhattan (kinda new, maybe 1874)
1 part Contratto Vermouth Bianco, 2 parts Bourbon, Bitters
1. Deanston 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt Un-Chill Filtered
1. Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky
2. Suntory Hibiki 12 Year Japanese Whiskey
The Time Keith Showed off His Bourbon Skills
1. White Dog (75% corn, 20% wheat, 5% barley)
2. Young Bourbon (2 Months in White Oak)
3. Mature Bourbon (2 Years in White Oak)
The Three Grains
1. Rye. Dad’s Hat Rye Whiskey
2. Corn. Lincoln Henderson “Angel’s Envy” Bourbon
3. Barley. Bruichladdich “Rocks” Islay Single Malt Whisky
Oak Aged Cocktails
1. The Manhattan Project
2 oz Bourbon, 1 oz Sweet Vermouth, Splash of Madeira. Aged in Oak for 24 hours. Dashes of bitters & a cherry.
2. Not Quite Old Fashioned
2 oz. bourbon whiskey. 1/2 oz. maple syrup. ¼ crushed vanilla bean. Aged in Oak for 24 hours. Dash of bitters & a cherry.
The Mostly Rye Edition of the Whiskey Class
1 part Contratto Vermouth Bianco | 2 parts rye whiskey | some bitters.
Age two months in a small whiskey barrel. Serve with a piquant arrogance in a rocks glass with ice.
Not A Mint Julep (per person)
1/2 oz. Canadian whisky | strawberry-mint simple syrup to taste.
Fill a glass with cracked ice. Add bourbon and mint syrup; stir gently until the glass is thoroughly chilled.
Old Fashioned but Friendly (per four people)
2½ oz. Rye whiskey | ½ oz. St. Germain (elderflower liquor) | 2–3 drops bitters
Stir bourbon, St. Germain, and bitters in an ice-filled mixing glass until very chilled; strain into an ice filled glass.
Prohibition Era Whisky
1. Forty Creek “Premium Barrel Select” Canadian Whisky
2. Cutty Sark “Prohibition Edition” Blended Grain Scotch Whisky
Two Lives of Rye
1. Rittenhouse Rye 100 Proof, Bottled in Bond Whisky
2. Russell’s Reserve 6 Year Small Batch Rye Whiskey
Vermont is is Canada, still Awesome
1. Whistle Pig 10-Year-Old Straight Rye Whiskey
American Whiskey Beyond Kentucky
1. The Eternal Cocktail: Whiskey, A Barrel, and Two Years of Classes
2. Caribou Cocktail: Whiskey, Red Wine, Chocolate, Honey & Spice
Making the Sausage
1. Bear Republic Brewing Company R5 IPA
2. Charbay R5 Whiskey Lot #511a (Ukiah, California)
1. Stranahan’s Whiskey Batch #166 (Denver, Colorado)
1. High West Double Rye! Batch #15 (Rocky Mountains, Utah) LDI/MGP
2. WhistlePig Rye Whiskey (Shoreham, Vermont) Alberta Distillers Ltd
Want Access To Upcoming Classes?
Join our mailing list to be the first to hear about new classes. Plus gain access to our reviews and articles weeks before everyone else.