- This class has passed.
Wines of Portugal
Sunday, May 10 from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm$51 – $89
Sure, there will be a Port in this class, maybe even a Madiera. Those were Portugal’s top wines back when Benjamin Franklin was knocking back drinks at the City Tavern. In fact, our Ben was a notorious lover of Portuguese wines. Reportedly, he had thousands of bottles stashed away in his wine cellar. He was such a fan of the Madiera, that he joked he should be buried in it.
I should prefer to an ordinary death, being immersed with a few friends in a cask of Madeira.
Thomas Jefferson, Founding Father
It’s time to discover what’s been going on for the past two hundred years. In this class, we keep our wine selections firmly in the 20th and 21st centuries. If you haven’t experienced them, the modern wines of Portugal will be a spectacular discovery. The wines range from the elegant and floral to powerful and intense. After this class, you’ll have a newfound respect for the wine regions of Douro, Dão, and Alentejo.
You’ll also experience some ancient Portuguese wines from our wine cellar: a once in a lifetime opportunity. Did you know that many wines from Portugal age better than Barolo and Bordeaux? There are good reasons why some of the top Bordeaux wineries own vineyards here, too.
Tasting Sheets for Previous “Wines of Portugal” Classes
1.Quinta de Paços 2016 Alvarinho (Vinho Verde)
2.Quinta de Curvos 2017 Curvos Loureiro (Vinho Verde)
1.Herdade do Rocim 2015 Branco (Alentejano)
1.Tiago Teles 2015 Maria da Graça (Bairrada)
2.Sidonio De Sousa 2015 Baja (Bairrada)
1.Simbolo 2014 Poças Junior (Douro)
2.Quinta do Noval 2012 Red (Douro)
1.Offley LBV 2013 Port
1. Niepoort Docil 2017 Loureiro (Vinho Verde)
2. Quinta da Garrida 2016 Encruzado (Dão)
1. Casa Santos Lima 2015 Colossal Reserva (Lisboa)
1. Sidonio De Sousa 2013 Baja (Bairrada)
2. Alvaro Castro 2013 Tinta (Dão)
1. Julio Bastos 2012 Dona Maria Gran Reserva (Alentejo)
2. Quinta da Serradinha 1999 Tinto (Lisboa)
1. Warre’s Otima 10 Year Tawny Port
1. Casa do Valle 2014 “Grand Escolha” Alvarinho, Vinho Verde
2. Quinta dos Roques 2015 Encruzado, Dão
1. Tiago Teles 2015 “Maria da Graca” Alfrocheiro, Bairrada
2. Sidonio De Sousa 2013 Baga, Bairrada
1. Quinta do Pinto 2009 “Vinhas do Lasso” Touriga Nacional, Lisboa
2, Viuva Gomes 2009 Ramisco , Colares
The Chablis Argument
1. Niepoort 2017 “Dócil” Loureiro
2. Quinta de Soalheiro 2015 Alvarinho
The Piedmonte Argument
1. Sogrape 2010 “Callabriga” Dao
2. Sidonio De Sousa 2013 Bairrada
The Bordeaux Argument
1. Casa Santos Lima 2015 “Colossal” Reserva, Alenquer
2. Poças 2014 “Símbolo” Douro
The RS Argument
1. Blandy’s 5 Year Verdelho
2. Barao de Vilare 2011 Vintage Porto
Want Access To Upcoming Classes?
Join our mailing list to be the first to hear about new classes. Plus gain access to our reviews and articles weeks before everyone else.