Wine 101: Learn About Wine
Thursday, April 11 from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm$41 – $79
Why Learn About Wine?
If you are new to the study of wine — or simply new to the Wine School of Philadelphia — this class is for you. Here, you will experience each of the Wine School’s hallmarks: dispelling industry rumors, banishing popular wine myths, and delivering information in an easy-to-understand manner. Developed by a U.C. Davis winemaker and honed over a decade of teaching experience, it represents a singular view of wine education. Allow us to share it with you!
The idea behind “Wine 101: An Intro to Wine” is a deceptively simple one: an introductory class on the 8 most important wine grapes. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s one of the hallmarks of the Wine School of Philadelphia: to take something seemingly elementary and turn it into a brilliant and captivating experience.
The secret sauce is in our sommelier-instructors, who are the very soul of the Wine School. They are the unicorns of Philly’s wine biz. There are only a few hundred people in Philadelphia that are truly gifted teachers. There are only a few dozen people in town that have a deep knowledge of wine. How many people are both great teachers and brilliant sommeliers?
Very few. How many of them are also unpretentious and have a great sense of humor? That number is shrinkingly microscopic, but that is okay: They are all recruited to teach for the Wine School. In the end, only the best of the best are allowed to teach the Wine 101 class. It’s a rite of passage for both our students and instructors.
Is 101 for You?
Even if you are a wine connoisseur, you should consider taking this class. Consider this an immunization against a deadly bout of wine snobbery. Even if the information in class is old hat to you, you will still learn a great deal about the school, our philosophy, and our teaching techniques. There is a reason why the founders and administrators of other wine and culinary schools have taken classes at the Wine School of Philadelphia. It’s the same reasons everyone benefits from attending our 101 classes.
WINE 101: WINE AROUND THE WORLD
1. Dr. Heidemanns-Bergweiler 2015 Riesling Kabinett (Germany)
1. Babich 2016 Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand)
2. Foxglove 2014 Chardonnay (California)
1. Ritual 2015 Pinot Noir (Chile)
2. Borgo Scopeto 2013 Chianti Classico (Italy)
1. Chateau La Canorgue 2014 Grenache (France)
2. Schild Estate 2013 Shiraz (Australia)
1. Montes 2013 Alpha Series Cabernet Sauvignon (Argentina)
WINE 101: WINE AROUND THE WORLD
1. Shild Estate 2015 Riesling (Australia)
1. Kono 2016 Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand)
2. Vina Cobos 2013 Chardonnay (Argentina)
1. Cloudline 2014 Pinot Noir (Oregon)
2. Castellani 2013 Morellino di Scansano (Italy)
1. Les Darons by Jeff Carrel 2015 Grenache (France)
2. Glenelly 2011 Syrah (South Africa)
1. Louis M. Martini 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma)
Wine 101: Intro to Wine
Flight 1: A Balance of Elements
1. Trimbach 2010 Riesling, Alsace, FRANCE
Flight 2: Knowing Your Nose
1. Villa Maria 2011 “Private Bin” Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, NEW ZEALAND
2. Columbia Crest 2009 Chardonnay, Horse Heaven Hills, WASHINGTON
Flight 3: The Concept of Terroir
1. Frederic Esmonin 2011 “Les Genevrieres” Bourgogne Rouge AOC, Burgundy, FRANCE
2. Bibi Graetz 2011 “Casamatta” Toscana IGT, Tuscany, ITALY
Flight 4: Mediterranean Reds
1. Borsao 2009 “Berola” Garnacha, Campo de Borja, SPAIN
2. d’Arenberg 2009 “The Footbolt” Shiraz, McLaren Vale, AUSTRALIA
Flight 5: Noble Grapes
1. Chateau La Cardonne 2009 Medoc AOC, Bordeaux, FRANCE